A chef’s knife usually includes the biggest knife within a kitchen. Typically 8″ to 10″ long, this knife is very versatile, and you won’t require any other kind of knife.
Getting the Perfect Knife
1) Go to a store for kitchenwares and use many chef’s knives in order to discover the one which feels the most comfortable within your hand.
2) Grip a chef’s knife within the dominant hand using all your fingers upon the knife’s handle.
3) Curl your fingers of the other hand under toward the 1st knuckle with your thumb and smaller finger behind your other fingers. The position will guide while you’re utilizing a chef’s knife and will serve as a stabilizer.
4) Put a blade of the knife against your fingers that are curled of the other hand and start chopping using the rocking motion.
5) You should keep a blade of the chef’s knife in contact with a cutting surface all the time and chop, not using the tip, but the back part of a blade.
Chef Knife Purposes
The chef’s knife includes different uses within a kitchen. Cooks have different knives at their disposal, yet they usually grab an 8″ to 10″ long chef’s knife.
Dicing and Chopping
Chopping will mean cutting into rough pieces without a certain shape or size; however, dicing requires cubing food. The recipe will dictate the cube’s size, typically ¼”, ½” or ¾”.
The chef’s knife slices through raw vegetables and meat with ease. The variety of the kinds of slices, like the sliver-thin Lyonnaise cut, will depend upon a thickness of a slice. Utilize the chef’s knife for every slicing activity except for cooked breads and meats, where the serrated, slicing knife will cut best for these types of applications.
Shredding, or Chiffonade
You can shred little quantities of vegetables that are leafy, like lettuce, cabbage or basil leaves. Just roll up many leaves, then cut leaves perpendicular to the roll, putting the cuts as close as you wish the shreds to be.
Boning and Cleaving
You can prepare meats that are raw by utilizing a chef’s knife that is heavy weight to separate the meat from the bone and to cut through bones. You’ll have to utilize a bit more effort in order to cut through bone using a chef’s knife than if you use a heavier cleaver, yet it’ll serve as a suitable substitute.